Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Pastured Turkey

Submitted by Mindy C.

This isn't really a recipe, but here's what I do w/ turkey when it isn't Thanksgiving. I thaw it in the fridge in my broiler pan. When it is no longer icy, I cut it into pieces--whole breast, wings, thighs, and drumsticks. I use the back and neck for broth--just put in a crockpot or stockpot w/ aromatics and water and simmer overnight.

Breaking the back is necessary for my pots, and I do have to enlist the help of my husband--otherwise, even though it is a big bird, it actually cuts up as easily as a chicken.

The meat and broth from the back/neck make great soup or base for casseroles. I brine the other parts in the broiler pan in the fridge for a few hours.

I do some kind of a rub for one drumstick, one thigh, and one wing and bake them in a 9x13 or 11x15 pan for one meal.

I bake the breast in the broiler, cool it and slice it in thick slices to be used for summer salads (one recipe below).

The remaining pieces I use a dry rub under the skin and put them back in the freezer for another meal. They will thaw completely in about 36 hours (take them out one morning for dinner the next night.

Turkey Salad
chopped or shredded breast meat
diced celery
chopped cilantro
dressing made of mayonnaise, lime juice and a few drops of liquid smoke

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...